Monday, January 14, 2013

A Song for You

Sweet Jesus, why on Earth have I not heard of A Song for You before the age of 41?  I think I need to get out more.

It appears that this tune was written in the 70's by Leon Russell.  Since then it has been covered by dozens of artists but my personal favorites would be Donny Hathaway and Gavin DeGraw's versions.

Below is a pretty amazing version with Ray Charles performing at Willie's 70th Birthday Party which coincidentally was one of his last performances before he died.  The ending of this song grabs a hold and doesn't let go. Watch as Willie sheds a tear.






After a bit of searching I was able to find this video that got me started on how to be able play this master piece. Now to try and figure out how to sing this monster.




Here's the link for the pdf of the lyrics and chords that I created.  You can also click this link to get the Google Doc version where you can download and edit as needed.


Here is my humble version.

No comments:

Post a Comment